DR BILL NORTJE
M.B., Ch.B.(Rhod), F.R.C.S.Ed(Ophth), M.Med (Ophth)
- Born: Wankie Colliery Hospital 1954
- Grew up in Livingstone, Zambia until 10years old then Bulawayo ,Zimbabwe.
- High School: Gifford Technical High School ending with A levels in Physics,Chemistry and Maths 1966-1972
- University of Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) Godfrey Huggins School of Medicine 1973-1977
- Medical Intern then SHO followed by Medical Officer at Bindura Rural Hospital
- Ophthalmology training: Started in Harare at Medical School then completed in South Africa in Durban at Natal University obtaining the M.Med (Ophth) Natal and the FRCSEd (Ophth) from Edinburgh.
- Private Practice at Westville Hospital since 1988 to date. Hillcrest hospital since 2011.
- 2012, he was honoured nationally by his peers with the DJ Wood Award for his contribution to ophthalmology in South Africa.
- Loves birding, wildlife and the outdoors.
DR CELESTE STEENBERG
M.B., Ch.B (FS), FC (Ophth) UKZN Opthalmic Surgeon
- Born: Vereeniging 1975
- I grew up in the Eastern Cape and attended Hoerskool Hangklip in Queenstown.
- My pre-graduate studies I completed at the University of Free State 1993-1998.
- I worked in various medical disciplines before I found my love…..OPHTHALMOLOGY.
- My opthalmology training was at the University of Natal and after I finished my training I stayed on the government sector doing training.
- I started working with Dr Nortje at Westville and Hillcrest Hospital in July 2011.
- I have a special interest in lid surgery and aesthetic facial medicine (including Botox and filler treatments).
- I am married to Dr Tobie Gildenhuys and we have 2 children.